POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : anti-aliasing : Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing Server Time
7 Aug 2024 03:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More methods? was Re: anti-aliasing
From: Xplo Eristotle
Date: 13 Feb 2002 15:31:21
Message: <3C6ACD85.38C040E3@unforgettable.com>
Warp wrote:

> Tony[B] <ben### [at] catholicorg> wrote:
> : Has the Team ever considered adding more AA methods? It'd be nice if you
> : found one that handled very thin lines a little better.
>
>   You are welcome to suggest an algorithm for that.

The only thing I can think of is to add a keyword to the parser, similar
to hollow, which would sit somewhere in an object, and which would
instruct the rendered to use different AA parameters for everything
inside that object's bounding box.

I have to say, though, that I question how useful this would be. Tony
evidently wants the renderer to find features that are far too small to
appear on his display, and which would therefore necessarily have
minimal effect on a scene since even if they were found the most they
would contribute is an additional set of values for the AA algorithm
which would then be averaged almost out of existence anyway. I will
admit that I've seen scenes where poor rendering of fine details was
painfully noticible, but you almost have to set a situation like that up
deliberately.. and one of them that I've seen involved a ground plane
textured with two gradients to make a grid; in such a case, the whole
plane would use the picky AA settings, and one might almost as well just
use those settings (most likely some ridiculously fine non-recursive AA)
for the whole image anyway.

-Xplo